Tuesday 26 April 2011

Ner ner ner ner, ner ner ner ner, Batu Caves



The Batu Caves just to the north of Kuala Lumpur combine two of my favourite Malaysian pastimes: exploring caves and hanging out with dangerous wild monkeys.


Disclaimer: Batman does not appear in this blog post.
(There is a dead bat skeleton though)


Batu Caves,
Gombak



Green monkey god guards the mountain, like something from Masters of the Universe



World's tallest Murugan statue, apparently.
I'm not going to dispute that



272 steps, apparently.
I'm not going to dispute that



Hindu gods are the best.
Q: It already has tits... why does it need udders
as well?



Kuala Lumpur, which is nowhere near as unpleasant as I expected.
Though it is quieter when it's nowhere near



Let's go inside.
Let's!



Eerie green shrine



Gaudy main temple



Dave in a cave with monkeys.
(Alright smartarse,
long-tailed macaques)



Monkey playing with his winkie



His wife 'n' kid (probably)



Flea fun



Who gave you that?



Indulgent stalactite beauty shot



Pigeon eating a coconut.
Because you don't see that every day


Dark Cave







This imaginatively named limestone cave was carved by the sea 200 million years ago, and was fascinating to visit.

My camera was largely futile though.



Don't touch the stalagmites!



Drippy cave straws



Bat skeleton, fulfilling the animal death criteria of my Malaysia blogs



Trap door spider's web



One of the most amazing sights I've seen, which my camera spectacularly failed to capture.
You really had to be there to appreciate it



I was!