Monday 7 March 2011

Where are my goddamn monkeys?


There are no monkeys in this picture


I was promised monkeys today, and as let-downs go, that's quite a big one.

I say 'monkeys,' but in Western Thailand they would technically have been macaques, like the monkeys I hung out with in Kaohsiung. But if we're going to start making racial distinctions between primates, next thing you know we won't be able to call all people from the Far East 'Chinese' any more. It is political correctness gone mad.

Never mind, I still had a nice trip up the beach and through the monkeyless coconut groves to Ban Krut Temple, once again hypocritically glad to have got away from the tourists for a while. If you want to join in with the primate spotting adventure yourself, why not play Hunt the Chimp? It's 0.2 seconds of fun! I say 'fun'…



Artist's impression
(Disclaimer: Did Not Happen)



Ban Krut Temple from the beach



During the third stage of its life cycle, the Buddha larva spins a cocoon made from its own bodily fluids. In two weeks, he will be a beautiful moth



Buddha's bumbhling henchmen, the Bebop and Rocksteady of Buddhism



Ban Krut Temple gardens



Dave W pays his respects by wearing the traditional Buddhist colour 'sweaty orange'



Inside peaceful Ban Krut temple. You weren't technically supposed to take photos, but it seemed less disrespectful than the firecrackers being set off next to Cocoon Buddha



I may not have seen any monkeys, but I saw a sad bull - so still a productive day out


Next stop: Koh Tao (via Chumphon)